Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Big Plans for the 4th!

So for this 4th I had a lot of things planned.  A friend of mine was having her son's birthday party at Cherry Hills that I REALLY wanted to go to but my husband told me he had "big plans" for us for the holiday weekend.  Now, if you know my husband you know he doesn't "plan" things so I was thinking "wow...he really must want to do something if he has something planned..." so regretfully I decline to invite to go to Cherry Hills....major bummer.  So the weekend rolls around and on friday I ask my husband what these big plans are.  I was thinking maybe we'd go to the cabin and go hiking up in the Uintas or something fun...um no, my husband's "big plans" were to finish the house.  LAME!  He refused to let me go anywhere because we needed to "focus" on getting the house finished....

I mean I guess I see what he's saying but Cherry Hills?!  come on people.  I was wanting to get my tan on, but I was a good wife and stayed home and I must say, our house looks great.  I have a few more things to do but it's pretty much done.  Hooray!  I will definately post some before/after pics once I'm done.

So how did we celebrate the 4th?  Well, on Sunday I had my parents and Tracy come down for dinner.  I think this was the first time I set my table...ever!
I don't think I've set this table since I got it 3 years ago AND I think I busted out more of stuff (as far as kitchen ware goes) then I ever had before. I want to take this time to thank everyone who got me stuff for my kitchen for my wedding because until this weekend I hadn't used any of it but it all came in handy quite nicely.  I would say to Les..."Man, we could really use something to put these hot dishes on..." and Les would reply..."I think we got something like that for our wedding."  Sure enough we had everything we needed to host a nice little get together with my parents.

Les even got fancy and busted this out!
My sweet husband thought it would be a fun tradition to make home made icecream for the 4th.  Ya know, start something new with Eden.  Very sweet right?  Well, he went to the store, bought all the ingredents, and had the icecream maker going all before I got home from church.  Well, as I was putting away all the extra supplies he got from the store (he had "big plans" to make icecream again) I noticed all these cans of evaporated milk.  I asked him what this was for since the recipe clearly call for condensed milk..not evaporated milk.  After a few choice words my husband begins to explain to me that ALL recipes are made for women.  He told me that at the store he couldn't find light cream anywhere.  I told him it was by the milk and it's just whipping cream...he just had to make sure not to get the heavy whipping cream.  He was all "Ya, I had to ask someone what it was.  Why can't they just put whipping cream in the directions...how am I suppose to know whipping cream and just cream are the same thing....AND why would they put evaporated milk and condensed milk right next to each other at the store?!  How confusing is that?!" 

Les was pretty bummed we weren't going to have homemade icecream for the 4th of july, but after adding a little bit of sugar and some coco we turned his concotion into a chocolate mousse of some sort.  It actually tasted pretty good and Les was quite impressed with himself for his "new" recipe. 

Anyway, dinner was great and dessert was great too.  My daugher has decided that she is old enough to feed herself and wants NO help from mom.  So this is pretty much how my table looks during/after she eats...
I usually let Dixie in after she's done and she pretty much takes care of the mess on the floor.

After my parents left and Eden had a bath we headed outside to have some fireworks.  It was still light outside but it was 8:30 people and this child of mine needed some sleep....so we went ahead and did it anyway....Eden's faces pretty much sum it all.  I'll let her tell you how her first firework experience went.
She wasn't a fan of the ones that made noise.  After our firework show, she hit the hay.  She was one beat little girl.  I layed her down and went to make her a bottle.  When I came back I found her like this...
dead asleep...
check out her leg...I wasn't sure it was very comfortable but she didn't make a pep...fine by me! 

Even though I didn't get to do what I thought we were going to do...our 4th of July was pretty low key but it was nice to spend the holiday as our little family. 
 
Happy 4th of July! 

3 comments:

Katie said...

I could eat those meaty thighs of hers-she's adorable! And tell les that I'm a woman and recipes give me a headache, too.

Megan said...

Haha. I could totally see Ross making 'big plans' like that. But the ice cream story is just hilarious. How often does Les go to the store?! lol. I am glad you were able to still have a good weekend. The pictures of Eden watching the fireworks are so cute, as per usual!

Whitney said...

I miss you guys!! Your baby is so adorable. Love you, Whitney